JASON Quigley remains geared for a big charge in 2021 – and insists that a world title is firmly in his grasp.
The Ballybofey man has not fought since a January 2020 win over Fernando Marin in Costa Mesa, California.
Quigley (18-1, 14KOs) most recently had a planned outing against Shane Mosley Jr for the NABO middleweight title called off.
“I want to get back out in May or June again – whoever, wherever,” Quigley said.
“I’ve been out for too long and I’m raring to go. We’re excited again and we’re ready to get rocking and rolling.”
Quigley was speaking with Aisling O’Reilly on the PlayOn show on sportstalkdotie this week.
“We haven’t had as many fights as we’d like to have under the belt, but it’s so far, so good.
“I’ve talked with y team and the plan is to have two or three fights and then a world title shot. That’s where I want to be and that’s what keeps me training. I will get the call shortly and hopefully by May or June I’ll be back in time. By the end of the year, I want to be challenging for a world title.”
Quigley is back in training alongside trainer Andy Lee, lately joined by former WBO heavyweight kingpin Joseph Parker, who has teamed up with Lee ahead of his May 1 showdown with Dereck Chisora.
He said: “Joseph Parker has joined the stable and it’s been so good having him in. There’s a good buzz being back in training.”
Like many across the world, Quigley endured a frustrating 2020 with Covid-19 putting paid to some planned bouts, while a mooted meeting with middleweight ace Saul ‘Canelo’ Álvarez didn’t materialise.
Quigely said: “Canelo is the king and he’s the top of the priority. He’s the man that I want to get in with. I want to get in and give the best I’ve got.
“As of now, I’m a fight or two away from that.”
You can watch the full interview here: