Tyrone McCullagh is set to defend his WBO European Super Bantamweight title in May.
McCullagh (12-0, 6Kos) will face Alvaro Rodriguez (9-2-1, 1KO) at the Eagles Community Centre in Newcastle on May 3.
The Derry man has decided to pull out of a scheduled bout against Miguel Corea at the Ulster Hall in Belfast tomorrow night after securing a first defence of his strap.
McCullagh has apologised to his supporters for his late withdrawal from tomorrow night’s bout on the undercard of Conrad Cummings’ defence of his WBO European middleweight title against Dublin’s Luke Keeler.
McCullagh, a former Illies Golden Gloves amateur, defeated the previously unbeaten Josh Kennedy in Belfast in October to win the belt.
The 28-year-old southpaw will now top the bill in Newcastle against Rodriguez, who won the Spanish Super Bantamweight crown with a points win over Aritz Pardai in November.
“Rodriguez is a very good opponent. He’s a talented counter-puncher so hopefully he brings out the best in me but I’ve no doubt I’m going to retain my title on the night,” the Glen Road native said.
? TITLE FIGHT ANNOUNCED ?
WBO European super-bantamweight king @WhiteChoc90 confirms maiden defence.
DETAILS ➡ https://t.co/490PT74LNx
Get your tickets FAST ?#MTKFightNight
? May 3
? @IFLTV #TeamMTKGlobal pic.twitter.com/Y4bqm66WEm— MTK Global ? (@MTKGlobal) March 28, 2019
“I love the attention that being the main event brings. It gives you that extra bit of buzz. It’s all part of boxing and there are nerves but headlining shows is where you want to be.”
McCullagh says that a shot at a world title and a crack at Emanuel Navarrete or Issac Dogboe – who fight in Tucson a week after McCullagh fights Rodriguez – is what he craves.