DECLAN Bonner says he will weigh up his options before deciding whether to stay on as Donegal manager for 2021.
Sunday’s shock Ulster final loss to Cavan brought an end to Donegal’s campaign and Bonner won’t be rushing a decision.
Bonner and the Donegal County Board will review matters in the next week or two as they mull over Sunday’s stinging defeat in Armagh.
“It still feels very raw,” Bonner told Donegal Daily/Donegal Sport Hub.
“We have put so much work into this. It’s so hard to take. It’s too early to speculate on what might happen.
“We’ll have a think over the next week or two.”
Bonner’s review will start with consultations with a management team that includes former Mayo manager Stephen Rochford, who joined the set-up in 2019.
Former Footballer of the Year Karl Lacey and ex-Donegal footballer Paul McGonigle are others with a lead role on Bonner’s ticket.
Their bid to win a third successive Ulster title ended on Sunday when Cavan took a 1-13 to 0-12 win.
This is Bonner’s second spell as Donegal manager having previously been at the helm from 1998-2000.
Bonner has managed his county 82 times now and only the legendary Brian McEniff has been in charge of Donegal more at senior level.
Bonner described Sunday’s defeat as the ‘most difficult’ he has experienced.
He said: “The performance was very disappointing.
“It was very frustrating.”
Injuries to Ciarán Thompson and Oisin Gallen during training last Tuesday night hit Donegal, who were already down Stephen McMenamin, Paddy McGrath, Odhrán McFadden-Ferry and Conor Morrison.
Bonner insisted that Donegal had guarded against any complacency.
He said: “The squad was together 24 hours after the Armagh game and we spoke about the expectation. We had two good sessions during the week and the routine pre-game was the same as all our other games.
“We certainly didn’t take Cavan for granted.”Tags: