JAMES DE LA ROSA says he was looking forward to facing ‘a bigger name’ than Jason Quigley next month in Las Vegas – but the Ballybofey man is gunning for the Mexican.
The 28-year-old De la Rosa, who fights out of San Benito, Texas, was last night confirmed as Quigley’s opponent for a May 7 contest on the undercard of the Amir Khan-Canelo Alvarez middleweight world championship bout at the T-Mobile Arena.
De la Rosa (23-3, 13KOs) defeated Alfredo Angulo in 2014, only the fifth man to record a win over Angulo, who counts Alvarez, Erislandy Lara and James Kirkland as former foes.
De la Rosa had been due to face former middleweight titlist Damid Lemieux in March, but the bout was cancelled when Lemieux weighed in overweight.
De la Rosa hasn’t fought since a December 2014 loss to Hugo Centeno Junior in Brooklyn but, given that he was preparing for Lemieux, it can be assumed that this will represent a huge challenge for Quigley.
“I was looking forward to fighting a bigger name, but Jason Quigley is a strong young fighter,” De la Rosa said.
“He doesn’t have half my experience as a professional, but I applaud his confidence for stepping up. I’ve been in camp since January, and although my last fight was canceled I am ready to face Quigley on May 7.”
Quigley took just 121 seconds of a scheduled eight-rounder to defeat Freddy Lopez last month in Indio, California, to move him to 10-0 as a professional.
The Golden Boy Promotions prospect might be taking a big step up here, but the 24-year-old is relishing the task.
“This is exactly the platform I need to be able to show the world what I’m capable of and what I’m here to do,” he said.
“James De la Rosa is simply just another hurdle on my path to be coming a world champion and lifting them belts.”
Quigley-De la Rosa will form part of the pre-pay-per-view ‘freeview’ on the night and will be streamed live on HBO’s YouTube boxing channel, on Golden Boy’s website and Ring magazine’s website beginning at 7 ET.