Terence Doherty treble helps Glengad United to League Cup glory


Terence Doherty’s hat-trick clinched the Clubman Shirts League Cup for Glengad United at Maginn Park.

Glengad United 4 Redcastle United 0

Doherty netted a minute before and two minutes after half-time to clinch a first piece of silverware this season for Shane Byrne’s side – a remarkable 15th trophy in Byrne’s reign at The Crua.

A minute from the end, Doherty completed his treble and Christy Fildara’s cracker sealed the prize in some style for Glengad – who still remain in contention for League, Charlie O’Donnell Cup and Credit Union Cup.

Ace marksman Doherty was the difference with the clinical goals as Glengad captured a fourth League Cup in five seasons, getting back the Cup they lost to Clonmany last season.

They opened the scoring in the dying moments of the first half.

James McKinney’s long ball into the danger zone asked the questions and Doherty conjured up the answer.

The ever-deadly Doherty, a real predator in these areas, bravely challenged, and beat, Michael McCole, the Redcastle goalkeeper, to the ball. The Glengad frontman got enough on the header to steer home and felt the brunt of McCole as he did so.

But it was a case of perfect timing for Glengad and the Crua residents doubled the lead just two minutes after the break.

Stephen Fildara’s free was only partially cleared to Doherty on the edge of the box and the striker drilled home to put the game beyond Redcastle’s reach.

Just for good measure, Doherty – who was also presented with the Man of the Match award – had time to add a third. Stephen Fildara’s ball through was picked up by the Glengad frontman, who kept cool and twice rounded the ‘keeper before drilling home an expert finish.

In added time, the Fildaras worked a neat one-two with Christy and Stephen combining before the former wonderfully fired beyond McCole.

Redcastle are on their way back to the Premier Division as a 4-0 win at home to Clonmany Reserves clinched the Strand Hotel First Division title for the Foyle Park men.

Emmet McLaughlin’s outfit sat deep and their endeavours to frustrate Glengad’s advances certainly worked in the opening half – until Doherty broke the stalemate just before the break.

Up to that, Glengad had enjoyed plenty of the ball, but Redcastle’s rigid defensive line meant that gaps and chances were few.

Three minutes in, Stephen Fildara managed to get a shot away, but a left-footed shot was gathered by McCole, the Redcastle net minder.

Fildara tried his luck again on 11 minutes when, after Kevin McLaughlin’s long ball out was picked up on by Terence Doherty, the ball was cut back to Stephen Fildara, whose deflected shot flew off target.

A Stephen Fildara free-kick warmed McCole’s palms, but clear-cut openings were scant, though Redcastle’s resistance finally gave way on the blow of Martin McGonigle’s half-time whistle.

Doherty’s second had Glengad’s name on the prize, but Redcastle didn’t exactly wilt completely.

Conor McNamee drove over the crossbar and Shaun Curran curled a teasing free just over the top.

At the other end, McCole did well to deny Michael Byrne and Christy Fildara, while Byrne managed to fire wide when he should have added number three.

Soon, though, Glengad’s ruthless streak was outlined as they added two goals late on.

Glengad United: Kevin McLaughlin, James McKinney, Jason Doherty, John Gerard McLaughlin, Matthew Byrne, Adam Byrne, Stephen Fildara, Shane Canning, Terence Doherty, Michael Byrne, Seamus Doherty. Subs: Christy Fildara for S.Doherty (70), Paddy McDermott for Michael Byrne (82).

Redcastle United: Michael McCole, Conor McNamee, Seamus Doherty, James Curran, Dean Curran, Denim McLaughlin, Chris O’Donnell, Shaun Curran, Brendan Murphy, Aaron Nash, Odie McColgan. Subs: Jack McConnellogue for Murphy (57), Daragh McConway for Dohery (70), Cahir McLaughlin for O’Donnell (82), Gavin Grant for S.Curran (87), Philip Margey for J.Curran (87).

Referee: Martin McGonigle.

Sports writer from St Johnston, now based in Letterkenny, with ten years' experience covering sport in Donegal. Was a nominee for NUJ Sports Journalist of the Year in 2010. Honoured by the Donegal Boxing Board in 2016 for his coverage on the sport.

Comments are closed.