St Eunan’s move to top of Division 1 with home win over Kilcar


ST EUNAN’S ENDED Kilcar’s unbeaten league run and went top of Division 1 after this keenly contested game at O’Donnell Park.

St Eunan’s 1-10 Kilcar 1-8

Seven points ahead at half-time Eunan’s looked in control but Kilcar made a real game of it in the second-half. However the home team just kept their noses in front to collect two important points.

The home team started well and kicked five unanswered points in the opening 13 minutes, Cillian Morrison (pictured above by Geraldine Diver in action against Glenswilly) scored two from play while Conor Gibbons kicked one from play and two from close-in frees.

Kilcar had to wait until the 15th minute before opening their account, Aodhan Mc Ginley converting a 45.  Poor finishing let the visitors down as they kicked a succession of poor wides and after Eunan’s Michael Miller had spurned a great goal chance in the 19th minute Conor Parke made no mistake after a super exchange of passes with Barry McGeehin the corner-back palmed the ball to the net to make it 1-5 to 0-1.

Gibbons added his fourth score with a fine effort and Mc Ginley added his second from a free to complete the first-half scoring, Kilcar failing to score from play in the 33 minutes played.

Kilcar blasted out of the blocks at the start of the second-half and scored 1-2 without reply; Cormac Cannon drilled home a super goal and Aodhan Mc Ginley and Matthew McClean added points to leave two in it.

Gibbons and McClean exchanged points and Cillian Morrison made it a three point game again following up after his drive had the crossbar.

Back came Kilcar again with Ashley Carr and Brian O Donnell points from play to leave a point in it with eight minutes to go.  Sub Sean Mc Veigh took a lovely score for Eunans but Mc Ginley’s free narrowed it to one yet again in the 59th minute and in a tense finish Conor Morrison somehow found himself up the pitch and he steadied himself to kick the final score and leave it 1-10 to 1-08 for Eunans.

St Eunan’s: Blake Forkan; Conor Moore, Conor Morrison (0-1),  Conor Parke (1-0); Kevin Kealy, Sean Hensey, Barry McGeehin; Oisín Toal, Kevin Rafferty; Darragh Mulgrew, Conall Dunne, Michael Miller; Lee McMonagle, Cillian Morrison (0-3), Conor Gibbons (0-5 2f). Subs: Conor O’Donnell for Moore (45), Sean McVeigh (0-1) for Kealy (46).

Kilcar: Eamonn McGinley; Barry McGinley, Stephen Shovelin, Pauric Carr; Cormac Cannon (1-0), Barry Shovelin, Brian O’Donnell (0-1); Ciaran McGinley, Aodhan McGinley (0-4 3f 45); Mark Sweeney, Michael Hegarty; Conor Doherty, Ashley Carr (0-1), Declan Gallagher, Matthew McClean (0-2). Subs: Darragh O’Donnell for Gallagher (54), Martin Byrne for Shovelin (59)

 Referee:  Enda McFeely (St Mary’s Convoy).

For over two decades, has been regarded as the voice of sport in Donegal. Charlie is the former Head of Sport at Highland Radio – a role he fulfilled for 23 years. He is a former Managing Director at Highland Radio. Produced the Talking Sport Podcast upon leaving Highland Radio before helping to form Donegal Sport Hub in 2015.

Comments are closed.