Naomh Conaill made to fight all the way for Championship win in Dungloe


Logan Quinn and Kieran Gallagher hit the goals as Naomh Conaill recorded a tough derby win over Dungloe in a hard-fought Championship clash this afternoon.

Dungloe 1-12 Naomh Conaill 2-11

By Martina Reilly at Rosses Park

It was the visitors who left Rosses Park with the two points in this first game of the group played in true championship fashion and in glorious sunshine as Gallagher’s goal kicked Naomh Conaill on after Dungloe battled back in the second half.

The home side raised the first white flag of the game on two minutes with a point from Adam Neely indeed a shot that could have been a goal but a minute later Brendan McDyer levelled matters.

On four minutes Conor Greene rattled the net for the first time in the game to put the home side in front this was quickly followed by another point from McDyer.

Points from Adam Neely (f) and Ryan Greene stretched the home side’s lead further.

Points from John O’Malley (2) (pictured), Leon Thompson and a Dermot Molloy free on 22 minutes levelled the game and kept the visitors in touch.

A Noel McBride free on 25 minutes put the home side in front again but it was the visitors who finished the half the stronger with points from McDyre and a Dermot Molloy free left the half time score Dungloe 1-4 Naomh Conaill 0-8.

From the throw in McDyer had the ball over the bar and put his side further ahead and Logan Quinn’s shot beat Ciaran Sharkey in the Dungloe goals to put five points between the teams.

Both teams introduced substitutes at this stage, as the play went from end to end with attacks being broken down and shots going either side of the posts.

Naomh Conaill were able to introduce Leo McLoone off the bench while Anthony Thompson has yet to return to action.

On 37 minutes Cory Gallagher scored and points from Conor Greene and Noel McBride reduced the deficit to two, but a point from Eoin Wade and Molloy put four between the teams again

As the game entered the last ten minutes, points from Shaun Sharkey, Darren Curran and a Conor Greene free got the home supporters behind their team again.

A Noel McBride point levelled the game but Naomh Conaill tore open the Dungloe defence and Kieran Gallagher left Sharkey no chance in the Dungloe goals when he fired to the back of the net.

Shaun Sharkey reduced the deficit but the home side had to watch their last three shots
fall short and either side of the posts as the clock ticked down.

Dungloe: Ciaran Sharkey; Owen Scally, Mark Curran, Doalty Boyle; Corey Gallagher (0-1), Gerard Walsh, Darren Curran (0-1); Noel McBride (0-3, 1f), Raymond Sweeney; Christy Greene, Ryan Greene (0-1), Caolan Ward; Adam Neely (0-2, 1f), Conor Greene (1-2, 1f), Shaun Sharkey (0-2, 1f). Subs: Shaun McGee for R.Greene, Ryan Connors for Ward, David McCarron for C.Greene

Naomh Conaill: Stephen McGrath; Aaron Thompson, Jason Campbell, Kevin McGettigan; Eunan Doherty, AJ Gallagher, Eoin Waide (0-1); Ciaran Thompson, Kieran Gallagher (1-0); Logan Quinn (1-0), Ethan O’Donnell, John O’Malley (0-3 1f); Brendan McDyer (0-3), Dermot Molloy (0-3, 3f), Leon Thompson (0-1). Subs: Johnny McLoone for L.Thompson, Leo McLoone for Quinn, Marty Boyle for O’Malley, Jack McKelvey for McDyre

Referee: Mark Dorrian (Gaeil Fhánada)

Sports writer from St Johnston, now based in Letterkenny, with ten years' experience covering sport in Donegal. Was a nominee for NUJ Sports Journalist of the Year in 2010. Honoured by the Donegal Boxing Board in 2016 for his coverage on the sport.

Comments are closed.