Killybegs edge closer to last eight of SFC with win over Termon


LED BY SIX excellent points from the boot of Hugh McFadden, Killybegs left their dismal league form behind them and took a big step towards a last eight spot in the Michael Murphy Sports & Leisure Senior Championship with a home win over Termon this evening.

Killybegs 1-12 Termon 0-10               

A draw against Naomh Muire at home next weekend will be enough to ensure that quarter-final place, while a victory could see them top the Group B table.

Things didn’t start too well for the home team as two Enda Mc Cormick points and a third from Caolan McDaid got Termon off to the perfect start inside the first ten minutes. However the teams were level in the 11th minute when Jack McSharry’s high ball from 45 metres dropped short and Evan Broderick fisted the ball to the Termon net.

Daire McDaid restored the visitors lead  but Broderick pointed when put through for another goal chance. Hugh McFadden knocked over a free from the right to give Killybegs the lead for the first time in the 16th minute,  after a nine minute period without a score Daire McDaid levelled it at 1-02 to 0-05.

McFadden and Kevin McDaid exchanged points but in the final four minutes of the half Killybegs hit three in a row through Daniel Breslin, Christopher Murrin and a 45 from Hugh Mc Fadden the lead by three at half-time, 1-6 to 0-6.

After Mc Fadden had somehow kicked a close-in free wide, Enda McCormick pointed a free and then Termon had a big goal chance.  An excellent build-up created a opportunity for Daire Mc Daid, his first drive for goal was brilliantly and bravely blocked by Ciaran Conaghan and McDaid’s follow up came back off the crossbar, a big let off for Killybegs.

Mc Fadden and Jimmy Gallagher then exchanged quick points to leave still two in it but the ten minutes that settled the game then arrived as the home team hit four in a row without reply from Termon.

Daniel Breslin’s second,  another McFadden 45, sub John Ban Gallagher and Christopher Murrin’s second of the game left five in it and game over.  Kevin McDaid and sub James McSharry kicked Termon points but fittingly Hugh Mc Fadden’s towering free from 44 metres ended the scoring and edged Killybegs towards a last eight place.

In the other game in the Group B,  Burt beat Naomh Muire by 0-11 to 1-06 and now play Termon next weekend in Burt with a Quarter-Final spot at stake.

Killybegs: Michael Mullin; Chris Cunningham, Ciaran Conaghan, Stephen Muirhead; Eoghan Ban Gallagher, Shane Molloy, Jack McSharry; Pauric Conaghan, Hugh Mc Fadden (0-6, 3f 2 ’45’); Sean Gorrell, Christopher Murrin (0-2), Daniel Breslin (0-2); Daniel O Keeney, Brendan McGuire, Evan Broderick (1-1). Subs: John Ban Gallagher (0-1) for Broderick (41 ), Jack Behan for Gorrell (59).

Termon: Michael Boyle; Declan O Donnell, Kevin Mc Daid (0-2), Fionntán O Flynn; Steve McElwaine, Nathan McElwaine, Daniel Conaghan; Jimmy Gallagher (0-1), Aidan Sweeney; Johnny McCafferty, Daire McDaid (0-2 1f), Enda McCormick (0-3. 2f); Caolan  McDaid (0-1), Anthony McGrenra, Kevin McElwaine. Subs: Shane Doherty for Caolan Mc Daid (33), Shane Gallagher for O’Flynn ( 41), James McSharry (0-1) for S McElwaine (49) , Paul McDaid for Conaghan (59).

Referee: Mark Dorrian ( Gaeil Fhanada ).

For over two decades, has been regarded as the voice of sport in Donegal. Charlie is the former Head of Sport at Highland Radio – a role he fulfilled for 23 years. He is a former Managing Director at Highland Radio. Produced the Talking Sport Podcast upon leaving Highland Radio before helping to form Donegal Sport Hub in 2015.

Comments are closed.