Kilcar head for the summit after a close call with Termon


KILCAR ARE THE new leaders of the All-County Football League Division 1 after they saw off Termon at The Burn Road.

Termon 3-09 Kilcar 1-18

Kilcar looked to be in cruise control when they led by nine points with 12 minutes to go, but Termon came right back into it, their comeback stopping just shy of pipping their visitors.

Kilcar held on with Termon eroding away at their advantage and this win, coupled with Gaoth Dobhair’s defeat to St Michael’s in Dunfanaghy, means that Martin McHugh’s team are now enjoying the view from the summit.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 67)

With the three McHughs – Mark, Ryan and Eoin – Patrick McBrearty, Conor Doherty and Andrew McClean among those with a watching brief, Kilcar still managed to do enough.

Stephen McBrearty clipped seven points and, the more Termon chipped into the gap in the closing stages, a goal late in the first half by Dara O’Donnell took on the role of the game’s big score.

Daire McDaid – who ended with 1-7 and was unfortunate to be on the losing side – Kevin McDaid and Austin Marron scored the Termon goals, but a scoreless 17-minute spell in the second half proved fatal for Francie Friel’s men.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 68)

They weren’t aided either by the fact that they had three players black carded with Kevin McElwaine, his replacement Steve McElwaine and, finally, Johnny McCafferty put off by Shaun McLaughlin, the referee.

The teams were level, 2-4 to 1-7, at half-time.

That was thanks to O’Donnell’s goal in the final minute of the half, batting home from close range after a long-range punt by Michael Hegarty caught out Termon netminder Conor Tinney.

Just three minutes previously, Termon had taken the lead when Marron swung home from Daniel Connaghan’s ball in.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 37)

Termon’s first goal arrived in the eighth minute, the clever McCafferty feeding Daire McDaid, who tucked beneath Eamonn McGinley.

Great points, both under pressure, by Ciaran McGinley and Michael Hegarty had Kilcar 0-7 to 1-3 ahead in the 22nd minute and the sides were level when O’Donnell finished late in the first half.

Kilcar scored nine-in-a-row after the change of ends, McBrearty with four of them and Aodhán McGinley with the pick of them, arching over after stepping out from the end-line.

Termon were handed a lifeline ten minutes from the end as Kevin McDaid’s low finish beat Eamonn McGinley after being set up by Brendan Friel.

Five late scores from Daire McDaid gave Termon hope, but McBrearty’s late free, after Tinney saved from McClean, who looked certain to score.

Termon: Conor Tinney; Paul McDaid, Nathan McElwaine, Kevin McElwaine; Shane Callaghan, Kevin McDaid (1-0), Fionntán O’Flynn; Brendan Friel, Caolan Mellett; Anthony McGrenra, Daniel Connaghan, James McSharry; Austin Marron (1-0), Johnny McCafferty (0-2), Daire McDaid (1-7, 5f). Subs: Steve McElwaine for K.McElwaine (black card, 28), Joe O’Donnell for S.McElwaine (black card, 32), James McElwaine for Mellett (48), Jamie Gallagher for Friel (52), Mellett for McCafferty (black card, 60).

Kilcar: Eamonn McGinley; Stephen Shovlin, Conor McShane, Pauric McShane; Cormac Cannon, Barry Shovlin, Dermot McGinley (0-1); Ciaran McGinley (0-1), Michael Hegarty (0-1); Aodhán McGinley (0-3, 2f), Stephen McBrearty (0-7, 4f), Matthew McClean (0-3); Glenn McBrearty (0-1), Dara O’Donnell (1-1), Declan Gallagher.

Referee: Shaun McLaughlin (Malin).

Sports writer from St Johnston, now based in Letterkenny, with ten years' experience covering sport in Donegal. Was a nominee for NUJ Sports Journalist of the Year in 2010. Honoured by the Donegal Boxing Board in 2016 for his coverage on the sport.

Comments are closed.