Kilcar fight back to claim vital win against impressive Gaoth Dobhair


Kilcar staged a brilliant second-half comeback to defeat Gaoth Dobhair in a pulsating Championship tussle in Towney.

Kilcar 1-15 Gaoth Dobhair 1-13

The teams shared ten points in the opening 20 minutes. Stephen McBrearty scored the first of his four first-half points in the opening minute but Gaoth Dobhair responded with three in a row from Gavin Mc Bride’s free and two from play from Michael Carroll and Eamonn McGee to lead 0-1 to 0-3.

Back came Kilcar with Stephen McBrearty and Andrew McClean scores to level it up at 0-3 each before Odhran Mac Naillais restored the visitors lead with a fine score.

Stephen Mc Brearty tied it up again as play swing from end-to-end but MacNiallais kicked another to leave it 0-4 to 0-5 after 17 minutes.

Conor Doherty was in for a goal chance a minute later but Christopher Sweeney denied him before Ryan McHugh tied it up yet again from a 30 yard free.

Within a minute Gaoth Dobhair had the ball in the Kilcar net. Michael Carroll won possession in midfield and drove forward, he exchanged hand passes with Odhran Ferry a couple of times before the young half-back drilled the ball to the net.

Kilcar responded again and Sweeney denied Stephen Shovlin with a blocked save but three minutes later Kilcar were level when Patrick McBrearty (pictured above) hammered home a penalty after Ryan Mc Hugh had been pulled down when goalward bound to leave it 1-5 apiece.

Two fine points from Gavin McBride sent Gaoth Dobhair clear but Stephen McBrearty got his fourth of the half to leave just a point between them at the break, 1-6 v 1-7.

We had a change of referee at half-time with Shane Toolan replacing the injured Robbie O’Donnell.

The second-half was a cracker with Kilcar showing great resolve to come from three points down early on win.

Naoise Ó Baoill, Odhran Mac Niallais and Daire Ó Baoill all scored for Gaoth Dobhair to a lone reply by Stephen Mc Brearty for Kilcar to leave three between them in favour of the visitors.

But Kilcar’s response was brilliant with seven of the next eight points scored. Patrick McBrearty and Conor Doherty both got two and there was one apiece for Eoin McHugh, Ciaran McGinley and a super Score from Michael Hegarty to a lone Gavin McBride free.

Four minutes from the end Mc Bride kicked his fourth point to leave two in it but Stephen Mc Brearty’s sixth point from play made it a three point game again.

In the final seconds Gaoth Dobhair had a close in free but Mac Niallais drive was blocked and his effort from the rebound went over to leave it 1-15 to 1-13 to Kilcar in this cracker of a championship game.

A good start for Kilcar who will visit Ardara next while Gaoth Dobhair will host Glenswilly in what will be a must win game for the Maghergallon men.

Kilcar: Eamonn McGinley; Stephen Shovlin, Conor McShane, Pauric Carr; Eoin McHugh (0-1), Mark McHugh, Matthew McClean; Ciaran McGinley (0-1), Micheal Hegarty (0-1); Andrew McClean (0-1), Ryan McHugh (0-1), Stephen McBrearty (0-6); Ashley Carr, Patrick Mc Brearty (1-2), Conor Doherty (0-2). Subs: Mark Sweeney for M.McClean (44), Aodhan McGinley for Doherty (56).

Gaoth Dobhair: Christopher Sweeney; Ryan Kelly, Gary McFadden, Jamie Reynolds; Odhran Ferry (1-0), Neil McGee, Niall Friel (0-1); Peter McGee, Eamonn McGee (0-1); Naoise Ó Baoill (0-1), Cian Mulligan, Daire Ó Baoill (0-1); Odhrán Mac Niallais (0-4, 2f), Gavin McBride (0-3, 1f), Micheal Carroll (0-1).

Referee: Robbie O’Donnell (Naomh Muire)

For over two decades, has been regarded as the voice of sport in Donegal. Charlie is the former Head of Sport at Highland Radio – a role he fulfilled for 23 years. He is a former Managing Director at Highland Radio. Produced the Talking Sport Podcast upon leaving Highland Radio before helping to form Donegal Sport Hub in 2015.

Comments are closed.