Everything goes wrong for Termon as Burt make it to SFC quarter-finals


Burt secured a last eight spot with this hard fought win over Termon at Hibernian Park.

Burt 0-11 Termon 0-6

It was only midway through the second-half when Termon got within two points that the result ever looked in doubt, but Burt rallied again to run out winners by five points.

The home side had played with the breeze in the opening half and led 0-5 to 0-1 at half-time.

It took nine minutes before we got a score, Burt’s Joe Boyle (pictured above) kicked a fine free from 40 metres.

Termon suffered a big blow when Daire McDaid picked up a shoulder injury and had to go off, they had already started without his brother Caolan.

Burt then scored three in a row from the 15th minute, Paul McHugh, Sean McHugh and Ciaran Dowds getting the scores.

James McSharry got one back for Termon but just before halftime the visitors suffered another set back when midfielder Aiden Sweeney was black carded for a hand trip, and then Joe Boyle pointed a free to leave it 0-5 to 0-1 at the break.

Termon were hit again early in the second- half when Declan O Donnell was sent-off on a day they might rightly feel that everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

However they showed some grit with three of the next four points, James McSharry and Joe Boyle exchanged scores and then Enda Mc Cormick kicked two crackers from play to leave two points between them.

Burt’s reply was excellent, After losing Boyle to a second yellow., Paul Mc Hugh kicked three frees and although McCormick kicked a 45, Sean McHugh burst through to make it 0-10 to 0-5.

Enda McCormick got another for Termon but Mark Coyle galloped through the Termon defence to finish the scoring and secure his team’s place in the last eight.

Burt: Kevin McDermott; Darren Gallagher, Stephen O’Donnell, Rory Grant; Mark Coyle (0-1), Paul McHugh (0-4, 3f, 1 ’45), Mickey McCann; Ciaran Dowds (0-1), Stephen Gillespie; Darragh Grant, Christopher McDermott, Conor Harkin; Enda McDermott,  Joe Boyle (0-3, 3f), Sean McHugh (0-2). Subs: Ronan Mc Dermott for E.McDermott (41), Georgie Kelly for C.McDermott (50).

Termon: Michael Boyle; Declan O’Donnell, Kevin McDaid, Paul McDaid; Steve McElwaine, Nathan McElwaine, Daniel Conaghan; Jimmy Gallagher, Aidan Sweeney; Johnny McCafferty, Daire McDaid, Enda McCormack (0-4, 1 ’45); Shane Doherty, James McSharry (0-2),  Kevin McElwaine. Subs: Fionntain O’Flynn for D.McDaid (10), Shane Callaghan for Sweeney (black card, 30), Barry Gallagher for Conaghan (43), Anthony McGrenra for Mc Sharry (51), Martin Sweeney for P.McDaid (58).

Referee: Shaun Paul Doherty (Urris)

For over two decades, has been regarded as the voice of sport in Donegal. Charlie is the former Head of Sport at Highland Radio – a role he fulfilled for 23 years. He is a former Managing Director at Highland Radio. Produced the Talking Sport Podcast upon leaving Highland Radio before helping to form Donegal Sport Hub in 2015.

Comments are closed.