Dungloe begin Championship season with comfortable win over Bundoran


DUNGLOE RAN OUT easy winners in the fist game of the Championship in brillant sunshine at Rosses Park last night.

Dungloe 2-11 Bundoran 0-7

By Martina Reilly

The home side fielding without a few regulars, inluding top talisman Adrian Sweeney, played with the wind in the first half and Ryan Greene opened the scoring of the day with a point from a free after four mins.

Adam Neely pointed from a free before Niall Dunne opened the visitors’ account sheet.

Neely knocked over a free but Tommy Hourihane kept Bundoran in touch.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 55)

Noel McBride, Neely and Shaun Sharkey pointed for Dungloe late in the half, while an injury to Brian O’Donnell delayed proceedings for five minutes.

Hourihane and Neely exchanged points with Dungloe 0-7 to 0-3 ahead at the break.

Ryan Greene hit the first point of the second half from a free after captain Darren Curran was fouled as be tore through the Bundoran defence.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 54)

Greene hit another point from a free after Neely was fouled when the home side could have been given a penalty.

Greene and Neely proved to be thorns in the visitors side all throughout the game and were ably assisted by the wise heads of Shaun Sharkey and Raymond Sweeney at midfield, Noel McBride and Gerard Walsh in the forward line and the solid defence lead by Doalty Boyle.

Neely put six between them with a free before Danny Rodgers saved well from Jamie Brennan.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 37)

Ten minutes from time, Conor Greene fired past Bundoran ‘keeper Conor Carty. Greene slotted home after a well-worked move involving Sharkey, Mark Curran and Neely.

Bundoran’s first score of the second half was 22 minutes in from Brennan, but with Rodgers, from a free, on the mark Dungloe inched further ahead before the cherry was added by Hugh Moy.

The comprehensive win for Tony Boyle’s team was sealed by Moy when he fired home after Mark Sweeney provided the assist.

Dungloe: Danny Rodgers (0-1); Jack Scally, Gavin Ward, Doalty Boyle; Brian O’Donnell, Matthew Ward, Darren Curran; Raymond Sweneey, Shaun Sharkey (0-1); Hugh Moy (1-0), Martin Redmond, Gerard Walsh; Adam Neely (0-5, 2f), Noel McBride (0-1) Ryan Greene (0-3, 3f). Subs: Mark Sweneey for O’Donnell, Barry Curran for J Scally, Conor Greene (1-0) for Redmond, Mark Curran for D Curran, Luke Neely for McBride.

Bundoran: Conor Carty; Matt Ward, Diarmuid McCaughey ,Johnny Boyle; Shane McGowan, Paul Brennan, Barry McGowan; Ciaran McCaughtey, Niall Dunne (0-1); Alan Russel, Tommy Hourihane (0-4 2f), Peter McGonigle, Dara Hoey (0-1) Jamie Brennan (0-1), Christy Keeney. Subs: Pauric Rooney for Dunne, Tommy Goverov for Russel, Niall McGonigle for McGowan.

Referee: Enda McFeely

Sports writer from St Johnston, now based in Letterkenny, with ten years' experience covering sport in Donegal. Was a nominee for NUJ Sports Journalist of the Year in 2010. Honoured by the Donegal Boxing Board in 2016 for his coverage on the sport.

Comments are closed.