Donegal League – Roundup from today as Milford leapfrog Kildrum at Premier summit


Milford United moved to the top of the Donegal League Premier Division as they made hay to leapfrog Kildrum – who drew at St Catherine’s. Here’s how today’s action panned out.


Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

St. Catherines 1 Kildrum Tigers 1

Top versus bottom met at a blustery Emerald Park with the visitors, Killdrum, showing signs early on of why they started strong favorites.

But Killdrum found the home keeper, Shane O’Gara, in top form as he pulled off some superb saves to keep the score nil-nil at the half time break.

Matt Crossan was having a superb game at centre-half for Killdrum but again found OGara hard to beat .

The home team dealt with goal mouth scramble after goal mouth scramble and miraculously kept the ball out of net.

Even when William Lynch hit the crossbar bar with a point blank header, the visitors must have felt it wasn’t their day.

As Killdrum pushed for a winner the saints were finding more gaps in their defence and on 90 minutes David McGuinness hit a left foot volley into the Killdrum net –  totally against the run the play.

The fairytale only lasted 45 seconds as Kevin McHugh found himself unmarked in the Saints box from the restart and slotted calmly passed the home keeper.
Kilmacrennan Celtic 2 Cappry Rovers 1

After ten minutes, Cappry got a penalty following a hand-ball from Kieran Doherty and Gethins fired home the spot-kick.

Kilmac made changes, which included new signing Gary Whoriskey, who played brilliantly.

Kilmac got one back through Caolan McDaid on 55 minutes.

Kilmac took the lead when a brilliant piece of play from Ryan Shields and Daire McDaid created the chance for Caolan McDaid to score.


Keadue Rovers 0  Milford United 3

(No Report Submitted)


Castlefin Celtic 3 Donegal Town 2

Castlefin secured a vital three points by defeating Donegal Town in a close enounter in Parkview.

The hosts started the brighter and took the lead in the 15th minute when a loose ball fell to Corrie Lee Bogan who rifled into the net from the edge of the box.

The hosts doubled their lead when JP Malley broke down the right and his cross was diverted into the net by a Donegal defender.

In the 30th minute the visitors pulled a goal back after a goal mouth scramble broke to David Graham who stabbed home.

Castlefin increased their lead when Malley struck a brilliant free kick into the top corner from 20 yards.

In the second half Donegal pressed for a way back into the game and got one back with Paul Mc Hugh tapping into an empty net with 20 minutes on the clock.

The visitors threw everything at the home defence but they stood firm in the closing stages.
Best for Castlefin: JP Malley and Emmet White. Best for Donegal: Paul McHugh
Referee: Dessie McLaughlin


Glenea United 1  Rathmullan Celtic 0

With both teams fluttering in the relegation zone a win for either side would catapult them into mid-table safety.

The first half started slow, with both defences taking very little risks in the wet conditions.

As the half progressed Glenea pushed on and started to create chances and were rewarded in the 30th minute. A deep cross from Ciaran McGeady found Darren Ferry at the back post to header home.

In the 43rd minute Ferry found himself in the same position from a Sean Coll cross, but this time his header was directed into Shaun Gallagher’s hands.

The second half started pretty similar to the first, both teams reluctant to push men forward in case of being exposed at the back.

Rathmullan’s first chance of the game came in the 70th minute when a long ball released Jay Dee Aliwaye, but John Harley timed his tackle to perfection ending any goal chance.

In the 75th minute Glenea went close to their second goal, an Eamonn McHugh corner found Sean Coll, but his effort smashed off the crossbar.


Temple Domestic Appliances Division One

Cranford United P Ballybofey United P

(No Report, Match Postponed)


Lagan Harps 0 Bonagee United 9

League leaders Bonagee prived far too strong for a young Lagan side. Lagan had started well, passing through midfield with Ross Hamlyn forcing a good save from John Carr.

Bonagee took the lead on twelve minutes when Iarlaith Mc Gowan headed home a corner.

Aidan McLaughllin made it 2-0 minutes later when he burst through the centre. Drew Connolly curled home a great free to make it 3-0.

Paddy McGowan made it 4-0 just before the end of the half.

The second half was one way traffic with Bonagee adding another five.

Aidan M Laughlin added two more, Mark Hunter scored twice and Lee Mc Monagle got one.

Lagan had a good effort from Darragh Rodgers well saved by John Carr.

Aidan Mc Laughlin, Glen Gallagher and Iarlaith Mc Gowan were best for Bonagee. For Lagan, Karol McGinley and Ross Hamlyn were best.

Referee: Andrew Mullin.


Lifford Celtic 5 Drumoghill F.C. 1

This game was reversed to the moss as weather took its toll in the Greenbrea, Liffford were quickest out of the blocks as they hit the front early on fortunate terms.

A long free kick forward from Kevin McBrearty deceived everyone to end up in the net.

Lifford doubled their lead immediately as Johnny Robb capitalised from a rebound of Tonner in the Dromoghill net.

The second half began with a long spell of Dromoghill pressure but Lifford held frim. The third goal for Lifford was a counter attack as Brian Breslin carried the ball 50 yards to square to Robb who finished for his second.

Straight from the kick-off, Drumoghill grabbed a goal back through O’Donnell with 20 mins remaining.

Lifford’s fourth was a carbon copy of their third only Robb provided the assist for Brian Breslin Lifford rounded the game off as Paul Lynch scored following a Niall Coyle corner.


Convoy Arsenal 4 Gweedore Celtic 1

Convoy took the lead when Gary Wilson sent a free kick into the box that was headed by Dean Bonner to Stephen O’Donnell who slotted home with 20 minutes played.
O’ Donnell was involved in Convoy’s second of the match on the 30th minute with a long throw into the box that fell to Anthony Bogle who found the back of the net.

Convoy came close to increasing the lead on the 36th minute with Emmet Patterson heading narrowly wide.

Gweedore pulled one back on half time with a through ball to Colin Ferry scoring for the away side.
Convoy restored the two goal advantage six minutes into the second half when Joe McGill scored from Fergal Carson’s cross.

Anthony Bogle got his second goal of the match converting from the penalty spot on the 37th minute of second half.


Donegal Physiotherapy & Performance Centre Division Two


Glenree United 2 Copany Rovers 0

In this final league game before the Christmas break it was Cathal McGinley’s men that collected all three points but they didn’t come easy after a battle with a very spirited Copany side.

Glenree took the lead after three minutes when Oisin Boyce eyed up the keeper and he found the top corner with a precision finish to beat the keeper from 16 yards out.

The goal set the tempo for the game and the homeside went in search of more goals with John McFadden coming close on a number of occassions.

Barney Boyce must have wondered how he didn’t score in the 19th minute when he found himself 6 yards out for his shot to just miss the bottom corner after a great through ball by Eoghan Kelly.

Copany were under the servre pressure and did well to deal with most of Glenree’s relentless barrage of attacks. Luke McCarry was next to test the keeper who did well to tip his effort over the bar in the 26th minute.

Copany’s first real chance came from a corner kick in the 38th minute when Kyle Farren rose highest but put it over the bar.

Liam Paul Ferry made his return to the side and the ball sat up lovely for him to unleash a shot from the half way line that ended up almost hitting the corner flag to his dismay.

Aaron McClafferty was up next for Glenree to have a few goal scoring chances but his header from a corner just missed the top corner and then a few minutes later controlled the ball in the box but his effort just rose over the crossbar in the 74th minute.

Finally after many attempt’s the second goal of the game came for Glenree and it was Eoghan Kelly who made his way into the box from right back to finish superbly on the half volley to give the keeper no chance after a pin point cross from John McFadden in the 78th minute.

The goal knocked the wind out of the battling Copany side along with both team’s emptying their benches and the game petered out with Glenree still making chances but unable to captalise.

Best for Glenree were Naoise Cullen and Eoghan Kelly. A team effort from Copany Rovers.

Referee: John Coyle


Raphoe Town 2 Curragh Athletic 0

The rain cleared just in time for this local derby match.

Both teams had chances in a tight first half.
It could’ve been two-each at the break.

Raphoe came out strong in the second half and should’ve taken the lead in the 60th minute, but Oliver Quinn headed wide from close range.

Raphoe took the lead in the 75th minute when Dylan Brolly scored from eight yards.

Raphoe made sure of all three points when DJ Kelly scored after great work by Oaddy Gallagher down the left wing.

Team performance from the Curragh.
Best for Raphoe: Oliver Quinn Christy Bogle.
Referee: Marty McCauley


Sports writer from St Johnston, now based in Letterkenny, with ten years' experience covering sport in Donegal. Was a nominee for NUJ Sports Journalist of the Year in 2010. Honoured by the Donegal Boxing Board in 2016 for his coverage on the sport.

Comments are closed.