Donegal League roundup: Busy weekend of soccer across the county


It was another busy weekend for Donegal soccer and there was plenty of entertainment on offer across the county with league and cup action taking place.

Glencar Inn Division One

Arranmore United 1 Strand Rovers 1

Arranmore started the better with Brian Procter going close but he was denied by Kevin McGovern.

Strand came into the game midway through the half and it became an even contest but both keepers had to be at their best as firstly Ben Boyle pulled off a brilliant save as Brendan Glackin connected perfectly with an overhead kick from inside the area.

Minutes later it was Kevin Mc Govern who denied Gavin Mc Glanaghey with an excellent save down to his right.

Arranmore introduced half-time substitute Aidan Proctor and he made an instant impact setting up Mc Glanaghey who made no mistake rounding the keeper to score.

To Strand’s credit 10 minutes later they were level as the impressive Conor Greene fired home from the edge of the box.

Referee: Tony McNamee

Castlefin Celtic Reserves 6 Dunlewey Celtic 3

Castlefin secured their first win of the season after a nine-goal classic in Park View.

Castlefin took the lead in the 5th minute when Rory Dalton slotted home after a Matthew O’ Rourke through ball.

After 15 minutes, Keith Nelis made it two when he struck home from 15 yards. Dunlewy got a lifeline when Mark Roarty broke through the middle and finished well and five minutes later they equalised through Micheal Roarty from the penalty spot with 35 minutes played.

In the second half, the hosts upped the tempo and took the lead again when O’ Rourke turned and smashed home after a Paddy Dooher cross.

Shaun Kennedy increased the home side’s advantage when he rifled home from the right. Dalton completed his hat-trick with two fine long-range efforts within minutes of one another.

In the last action of the game, Conor Mc Mahon tapped in from range from the visitors. Team Performance from both teams.

Referee: Diego Rainey

Oldtown Celtic 1 Keadue Rovers Reserves 1

Oldtown Celtic welcomed Keadue Rovers to the Letterkenny Community Centre. Both teams started brightly and created chances but neither team found the net in the first half.

The second was a tight affair with neither team giving an inch and it was Keadue who scored first after a corner was headed home at the back post.

Shortly afterwards Oldtown were reduced to 10 men after Charlie Creevy was shown a second yellow.

But this seemed to spur on Oldtown and they were rewarded with 10 minutes to go when Micheal Devine hit a shot which gave the keeper no chance.

Keadue were then reduced to 10 men for the last 5 minutes. Both teams had chances with neither finding the net the game ended a draw.

Glenea United Reserves 2 St. Catherines Reserves 0

Glenea Reserves got their first win of the season with a hard-earned victory over the Killybegs men.

With the aid of the breeze, the home side started well and created a couple of chances through efforts from Shaun Curran, Michael McHugh and Conor Coyle.

The away side were finding it difficult to create any chances, but they almost took the lead on 20 minutes when a free-kick evaded everyone but Kevin Doohan who was on the line to clear it away.

Glenea were awarded a penalty on 35 minutes but Padraig Mc Gee’s resultant kick was well saved by the away keeper.

In the 2nd Glenea continued to press for an opener but were denied by a number of good saves.

However, Glenea finally made the breakthrough on 60 minutes when Michael Mc Hugh was fouled in the box, on this occasion Padraig Mc Gee found the back of the net.

The home side continued to press for another goal and were rewarded on 70 minutes when Gerard Maguire’s cross-field pass found Conor Coyle and he lobbed the ball into the net.

St. Catherines pushed hard to get back into the match and were denied by a couple of good saves from Neil Mc Geever.

With St. Catherines pushing on they were leaving gaps at the back and Glenea almost extended their lead a couple of times through efforts from Nathan O’ Brien, Gerard Maguire & Michael Barry.

Best for Glenea were Martin Doohan, Eugene Maguire and Shaun Curran, Team effort from St. Catherines.

Referee: Liam McConigley

Old Orchard Division Two

Drumoghill F.C. Reserves 3 v Gweedore Celtic Reserves 2
(No Report Submitted)

Drumkeen United Reserves 1 Fintown Harps AFC 2

A late goal for Fintown Harps meant they left St Patricks Park with all three points on Saturday afternoon.

Shan Mc Millan put the visitors ahead midway through the first half. Eoghan Kennedy equalised for Drumkeen on 70 minutes.

The home Team deserved something from the game and it looked like Kennedy’s goal had secured them a point.

As the game entered the closing stages a draw was looking very likely but then Fintown struck late on to seal the win and ruin Drumkeen’s afternoon.

The outcome was a bit harsh on Drumkeen who will be frustrated that they got nothing from a game where they deserved at least a share of the spoils.

The visitors will not worry about that and will be delighted with the outcome.

This was a good game played in the right spirit and was well handled by Referee Sean O’ Donnell

Cappry Rovers Reserves 3 Kildrum Tigers Reserves 3

The away side started the game strong and took the lead in the fifth minute through Darren Mc Carron.

Kildrum then made it 2-0 in the 23rd minute through Christopher Cronin.

As the half wore on the youthful Cappry team came back into the game and got a goal back after 33 minutes when Jamie Murray scored from the spot following a foul on Kaine Mc Glynn.

Cappry got a dream start to the second half when Jamie Murray played through Kaine Mc Glynn who finished well.

Kildrum came back at Cappry and got a penalty which they failed to convert. Cappry then took the lead in the 67th when Peter Lafferty tapped home a Jamie Murray free kick.

Kildrum presses hard to get level and in the 81st minute, they got level when James Mc Nulty headed home a corner. Two Team Performances.

Referee: Colm Mc Gonagle

Sunday 21st October 2018

Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier Division

Donegal Town 7 St. Catherines 2

Donegal Town ran out comfortable winners in this local derby after a great performance at the Hospital Field.

Donegal took the lead early on when great work from Ronan McHugh and Peadar Mogan allowed David Graham to fire home from close range.

St. Catherines were level on the twenty-minute mark when Ryan Cunningham cooly slotted home from the spot after a Saints’ player was upended in the area.

Donegal got their noses in front right on half-time when McHugh flicked on a throw-in for Graham to score.

St Catherines were right in it up to this point but the game got away from them ten minutes into the second half when two quick goals, first from Joe McIntyre, and then Eoin Slevin, effectively ended the game as a contest.

Slevin’s pinpoint accuracy from a free kick just outside the area was the highlight of the game.

Peadar Mogan struck from the edge of the area to make it five before Timmy Gorrell got one back.

A quick-fire brace from David Graham finished the scoring, the first from the penalty spot, to seal his hat-trick, with the second coming at the back post after a great ball in from Nathan Ward.

Team performance from the visitors with Graham the Town’s standout performer.

Temple Domestic Appliances Division One

Drumoghill F.C. 0 Convoy Arsenal 4

A lack of concentration at the beginning of both halves proved costly for Drumoghill FC as Convoy Arsenal ran out deserved winners in this Division One clash.

It means Drumoghill have lost successive home matches, having begun the campaign with three wins out of three. Indeed, the scoreline could have been much worse had it not been for the heroics of Mickey Toner in goal for Drumoghill who saved two Conor Rodgers’ penalties during the first half.

Rodgers though did manage to get on the scoresheet when he broke the deadlock with an early strike after three minutes. Shortly afterwards, Convoy doubled their lead when Emmet Patterson hammered home before Rodgers was presented with his first penalty.

Toner saved Rodgers penalty attempt, but it was only a temporary reprieve though as it would soon be 3-0 through Gary Wilson.

It already looked game over and there were only 16 minutes on the clock, but credit to Drumoghill manager Jockey Wilson who made a few subtle changes and Drumoghill started to close the gaps that existed earlier.

They matched their counterparts all over the pitch but the visitors did look the more likely to strike through the pace of Stephen Long and Conor Rodgers and it was their breakaway the led to them being awarded their second penalty of the afternoon as Toner was adjudged to have fouled Rodgers on 39 minutes.

Rodgers picked himself but saw his effort beaten away by Toner, diving low to his right.

The game was killed off as a contest straight from the re-start when Anthony Boyle took possession on the right flank and went on a run that the Drumoghill rear-guard couldn’t contain.

He made no mistake when he got sight of the goal and that was game over.

Richard Tinney, Karlos Rodgers and Gareth Hamilton all caught the eye for Drumoghill with Paul O’Leary impressing in defence for the visitors.

Donegal Physiotherapy & Performance Centre Division Two

Curragh Athletic 4 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 5

The Curragh welcomed Kerrykeel F.C. to Killygordon and the game was played in perfect conditions but Curragh were caught out in the opening 15 minutes, Michael Sweeney using his height to score a double.

Curragh couldn’t compete with him at all and at half-time it was the visitors who found themselves 5-1 up.

After a big talking to at half-time Curragh started playing well, moving the ball better faster and they got a penalty on 50 minutes which they missed.

On 60 minutes they got a second penalty which was converted this time and it was all Curragh from then on.

Tim Callaghan got a goal on 75 minutes and Micky Black then made it 5-4 and that’s how it finished.

Micheal Sweeney was best for Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. A Team effort from the Curragh.

FAI Junior Cup

Greencastle F.C. 4 v Raphoe Town 1
(No Report Available)

Ballybofey United 1 Lifford Celtic 3

Ballybofey United’s interest in this season’s FAI Junior Cup ended on Finnside on Sunday afternoon Brian Lafferty’s men have had an indifferent start to the season.

They currently lie fifth in the Division Two Table but have produced their best results in the Brian Mc Cormick Cup by winning the Donegal Town Area Shield and booking their semi-final berth for early in 2019.

In the last Round of this National Cup, they travelled to Culdaff and recorded a victory by three goals to one over their Inishowen opponents.

On Sunday Kevin Mc Brearty brought his Lifford Celtic side to Ballybofey and they returned to the County Town with their passage to the next Round secured.

Kevin Lynch scored for Lifford as did Brian Breslin who helped himself to a brace on the day. Damien Glackin got Ballybofey’s goal in a match that was 1-1 at the break with Lifford scoring two without reply in the second half.

Referee: Paddy Duffy

Kildrum Tigers 2 Glenea United 1

William Lynch gave Kildrum the lead after 15 minutes when he scored directly from a free-kick.

Up until that there was little to note in this all Donegal Junior League, FAI Junior cup Tie. Damian Crossan and Kevin Mc Hugh both went close for Kildrum before Daniel Clarke headed the Station Road residents into a two-goal lead on 40 minutes.

They held this advantage until the interval with Glenea thankful to their Keeper who saved from point-blank range when Crossan power his header goal-wards. On 70 minutes Glenea grabbed a foothold in the match when they were awarded a penalty which they duly dispatched.

But it was Kildrum’s day and they had several near misses, even hitting the woodwork through Kevin Mc Hugh who stood out for the hosts on the day.

Keadue Rovers 1 Illies Celtic 2 A.E.T.

Illies Celtic went away with the victory from Central Park on Sunday in the FAI Junior Cup and inflicted the first defeat of the season to an in-form Keadue.

It was a good open game played in decent conditions and after an even first five minutes, Illies created the first chance of note on eight minutes when some good footwork at close range lead to a chance well saved by Danny Rodgers.

Keadue started to get a hold of the game after 15 minutes and chances fell to both Shaun Yank Boyle who lobbed over when through on the keeper and a minute later, Aidan McHugh had his header cleared off the line.

The away side had a strong finish to the half, getting a lot of possession and forcing the home side back.

They almost took the lead on forty minutes when a close-range effort was well saved. Keadues’ Aidan McHugh had a good free kick saved in the 45th minute and from the resulting kick out Illies were straight on the attack and a long-range effort was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Danny Rodgers.

The second half started off better for Keadue and despite the first chance falling to Illies just after fifty minutes Keadue went ahead on fifty-nine minutes when a speculative ball forward from Adam Neely was met on the run by Aidan McHugh and he shrugged off two defenders to drill the ball low to the corner for a fine goal.

The away side as expected came more into it, creating chances and after 72 minutes Danny Rodgers had to be at his best again to palm away a long-range effort from the Illies right back. On 75 minutes, following good work from Shaun Yank Boyle, Danny McGlynn was close to finding the net on the run.

However, Illies were level on 80 minutes with a fine effort from a 30-yard free kick from Liam Doherty.

The home side had the best of the final ten minutes but didn’t create an opportunity of note and it finished 1-1 at full time. Into the extra time, stages and Keadue were again on top with Chris Greene heading wide from a corner while a few minutes later Jack Boyle shot over the bar.

It was still level at half-time but with the wind at their back Illies started the second half strong and went ahead on 103 minutes when Dominic Coyle flicked a header to the net.

The home side had one great chance in the last minute when Danny Mc Glynn was again just narrowly wide.

Illies held out to advance to the next round from what was an open, entertaining game.

Best for Illies were Kevin Mc Gonagle, Liam Doherty & Paul Doherty, while best for Keadue were Aidan McHugh, Danny Rodgers and Paddy Bonner.

Referee: Joe McHugh.

Cappry Rovers 3 Rathmullan Celtic 0

Cappry Rovers advanced to the next round of the F. A. I. Junior Cup when they defeated Rathmullan at a windy Cappry Park.

Cappry took the lead in the third minute when Cathal Mc Shane was fouled in the box when bearing down on goal.

Mc Shane took the penalty himself to score. Rathmullan player J .D. Alaruiye hit the post in the fifteenth minute.

Cappry doubled their lead in the 19th minute when, following a great save by the visitors’ keeper, the ball was put back into the goalmouth and Patrick Mc Nulty scored with a diving header to the corner of the net.

Cappry got their third goal in the 27th minute when they were awarded a free kick out on the wing.

Dean O’ Donnell took the free and scored directly to the net. Rathmullan started the stronger in the second half with the assistance of the strong wind in search of a goal but the Cappry defence held strong.

The visitors had a chance to reduce the deficit on 48 minutes when they were awarded a penalty following a tackle on J.D. Alaruiye in the box.

Alaruiye stepped up to take the spot kick himself but shot straight at the Cappry keeper who saved easily.

Cappry kept the pressure on in search of another goal but to no avail. Rathmullan created a few half chances but couldn’t find a way through a tight Cappry defence.

Castlefin Celtic 0 Glengad F.C. 3

Castlefin excited at the second round of the F.A.I. Cup after finding themselves on the wrong end of a defeat to Glengad.

The hosts started the brighter and a Corrie Lee Bogan effort cannoned off the bar from thirty yards. In the 15th minute, Glengad took the lead when they broke down the left and the cross trickled into the net after a deflection.

The visitors doubled their lead when Terence Doherty got in behind the home defence and slotted home.

They made it three from the penalty spot in the 25th minute. The home side kept going for the remaining of the half but couldn’t find a way through.

In the second half, the home side controlled the majority of possession but couldn’t find a way through the visiting defence.

Team Performance from both sides.

Referee: Andrew Mullan

Multimedia Sports Reporter from Derry currently repenting for my sins in Letterkenny. Recent journalism graduate. NUJ member.

Comments are closed.