Kilcar power past Killybegs to win Group B in SFC


KILCAR DID THE necessary to top Group B of the Michael Murphy Sports & Leisure SFC with a win in Killybegs today.

Killybegs 0-7 Kilcar 0-24


Martin McHugh’s side have finished their first round with a healthier scoring difference than St Eunan’s, who will join them in the quarter-final draw tomorrow night.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 38)

For Killybegs, they knew before they welcomed their neighbours this afternoon that a place in the relegation play-off awaits.

Today, Kilcar set the tone early, posting three points inside five minutes on their way to a 0-10 to 0-3 half-time lead.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 53)

Michael Hegarty and Stephen McBrearty set the ball rolling and by the 15th minute they were seven ahead with Eoin McHugh, Stephen McBrearty, Paddy McBrearty and Andrew McClean all slotting over points.

Killybegs had to wait until the 20th minute before they opened their account through a Hugh McFadden free. That lifted the hosts who rattled off another two points as Kevin Martin and Evan Broderick raised white flags.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 76)

However, two points from Patrick McBrearty and one from his brother Stephen set the interval lead.

Killybegs had the wind for part two and hoped to make some inroads. But Kilcar maintained control, kicking seven points on the spin.

Ciaran McGinley, two from Stephen McBrearty, Ryan McHugh, Daragh O’Donnell and Andrew McClean were the scorers. In between, Kevin Martin excellently denied Stephen McBrearty a goal.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 82)

Killybegs were eventually off the mark in the second-half on 46 minutes through Eoghan Ban Gallagher. But there was to be no mercy or let-off as Mark McHugh, Eoin McHugh, Paddy McBrearty (free) and another brace from Stephen McBrearty propelled kilcar out to an impressive 22 points for the afternoon.

Killybegs laboured to scores through Christopher Murrin, Hugh McFadden (free) and Eoin Gallagher. But the final say went to the winners as Michael Hegarty and substitute Mark Sweeney rounded off a comfortable afternoon’s work with the final overs of what was a thoroughly lopsided affair.

Error, group does not exist! Check your syntax! (ID: 45)

Killybegs: Kevin Martin (0-1,1f); Eoin Gallagher (0-1), Ciaran Connaghan, Dan O’Donnell; David McGuinness, Shane Molloy, Paul Carbary; Hugh McFadden (0-2, 2f), Christopher Murrin (0-1); Donal Maguire, Eoghan Gallagher (0-1), Daragh McClean; John Gallagher, Evan Broderick (0-1), Daniel Keeney. Subs: Anthony O’Hara for D Keeney (51), Ryan Ward for D McGuinness (55).

Kilcar: Eamonn McGinley; Paddy Gallagher, Conor McShane, Pauric Carr; Barry Shovlin, Mark McHugh (0-1), Ryan McHugh (0-1); Ciaran McGinley (0-1), Michael Hegaty (0-2); Aodhan McGinley, Stephen McBrearty (0-8,2f), Eoin McHugh (0-2); Daragh O’Donnell (0-1), Paddy McBrearty (0-5, 2f), Andrew McClean (0-1). Subs: Matthew McClean (0-1) for A McGinley (38), Mark Sweeney (0-1) for D O’Donnell (51).

Referee: Robbie O’Donnell (Naomh Muire).

Comments are closed.